Apparently piling on to President Trump’s worries, North Korea has once again fired two more “unidentified projectiles” into the East Sea, according to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff says the projectiles were launched from an area near the North’s western coast and flew cross-country before landing in waters off the country’s eastern coast.
President Trump said last week that the short-range missile tests North Korea has been conducting do not violate the terms of his agreement with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore last year, but he nonetheless urged Kim to “do the right thing.”
However, this time could be different as North Korea has been more threatening, as Reuters reports that North Korea said on Tuesday that the joint military drill being conducted by the United States and South Korea violates agreements North Korea made with them, state media KCNA said.
The North Korea foreign affairs ministry called joint military exercises being conducted by the U.S. and South Korea a “flagrant violation of June 12 DPRK-U.S. Joint Statement, Panmunjom Declaration and September Pyongyang Joint Declaration.”
North Korea remains “unchanged in our stand to resolve the issues through dialog,” the statement said, but “we will be compelled to seek a new road as we have already indicated,” if the two countries continue with “hostile military moves.”
“If the U.S and South Korean authorities trust to luck, disregarding our repeated warnings, we will make them pay heavy price which will in turn make them very much difficult,” a spokesperson for North Korea’s foreign affairs ministry said.
The timing of this worsening rhetoric is highly coincidental with China’s apparent start of a currency war following Trump’s escalation of the trade war with additional tariffs.
Bottom line, this won’t end well as it appears China’s Xi has pulled the plug on enabling diplomacy with North Korea.